Image

The one with layout challenge #1

17 Mar

Happy Sunday!

A few weeks back I shared 5 layouts that were part of a visual aid to explain my process (read that post here). I also shared that since I ended up with 5 layouts that were similar, I challenged myself to come up with 5 completely different layouts. This week, I finished my first layout.

I started with this:

journal 1

You may recall that I covered these pages in gesso to show my starting point (or how sometimes you can reuse pages when what you once did doesn’t still resonate with you – or in this case, covering up some doodling).

Here’s where I ended up:

Challenge 11

And this is how I got there:

Challenge 1This layout begin with newsprint. I covered it with a layer of gesso and after letting it dry, I used 3 different colored spray acrylics (which were an experiment of mine. I like the idea of alcohol inks and thought I could achieve something similar by mixing 1/4 fluid acrylic paint and 3/4 water. I’m not so sure that it’s close to those cool looking alcohol inks, but for this layout, they worked just fine). This is a few layers of the spray acrylics…..

Challenge 2And a close up while it’s wet. It looks a lot different when it dries (which was a bit disappointing)

Challenge 4Once it was completely dry, I tore it up into strips and secured them to the pages with (my fave) soft gel medium.

Challenge 5

Another layer of color,

Challenge 6Next, I covered the page in circles, using a paper towel tube for my “stamp”. Which I have to give credit where credit is due;  I saw this on my friend, Danielle’s blog (Scrapper on the Street), and had to give it a try myself. By the way, Danielle asked me to be write a post as a guest blogger so I’ll let you all know when it will be posted. But in the mean time, you should check her out. She’s just started incorporating art journaling with her scrapbook pages and the results have been a lot of fun!

Challenge 7So now, the background is complete. Next, I chose my subject.

Challenge 8I love wild birds. Maybe because they tend to be so colorful. Possibly it’s because some species of birds are so community oriented (don’t get me started on my LOVE of Turkey Buzzards – yes, you read that right). Anyhow, I printed this little guy on regular printer paper and then painted right over him. Added my own colors and made him a bit more abstract.

Challenge 9I decided a border made out of ribbon was in order. I searched for a thick ribbon in a color that would compliment the rest of the layout and found this lovely charcoal one.

Challenge 10The final pieces were the addition of the tag that reads “Everything grows better with Love” and the green eye. I know, kinda random. But I found it looking through scrap papers for something to finish off this layout and for some reason, I liked it. Could be cause the green matches the background behind the bird so well. I’m not sure. And I’m not even sure that this layout is finished. I just know it’s finished for now.

I’d love to hear what you think. Leave me a comment and tell me if you think it’s finished or not.

Till next week,
Cheers!
Michelle

Advertisements

2 Responses to “The one with layout challenge #1”

  1. Teri Haire March 18, 2013 at 1:07 am #

    I love this, I haven’t worked in my art journal is at least 6 months maybe more. I really need to find time to get working in it again. Thanks for the reminder.

    • studiobukowski March 18, 2013 at 1:19 am #

      Glad you like it – thanks! And you have to email me some pics. I’d love to see what you were working on; but I hope you can find the time to start it up again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: